The Strategic Buyer works within the Lely North America Operations team and is responsible for sourcing and purchasing activities on a quality/delivery/cost comparison basis for overall operations. This role will identify and develop potential new suppliers while maintaining good relationships with existing suppliers to generate better purchasing and payment conditions. Additionally, this role will undertake supplier visits, compiling visit reports upon completion, and developing process improvements to the internal supply chain, including better utilization of systems. This position will work in collaboration with Supply Chain, Engineering, and Operations groups within North America and groups within the corporate office located in the Netherlands; primarily the Corporate Purchasing Team. Business travel may be required both domestically and/or internationally via car or plane.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Interface with suppliers to ensure all purchased items including services are delivered within a reasonable price, optimal quantity (availability), quality compliance, reliability, and ability to meet required schedules and needs.
- Perform supplier audits, supplier capability studies, develop delivery and stocking agreements, and tooling requirements and justifications.
- Further define a localization plan for products such as welded assemblies, electrical assemblies, plastic components, etc.
- Coordinate with engineering to ensure that specifications and designs are provided to the suppliers.
- Ensure MRP systems are updated and accurately reflect the agreements with the supply base.
- Review and analyze invoice discrepancies with accounts payable.
- Participate and attend meetings and training involving engineering, buyers, and/or SOP directly impacted by purchasing parts or products on behalf of Purchasing department.
- Support corporate strategic purchasing team with the transition process.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Work Safely, maintain a safe working environment, and adhere to all safety policies and procedures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree in engineering or Business with 4+ years of previous job experience in managing technical, complex, and high-value product groups.
Key Skills and Abilities:
- Team player who inspires a team culture.
- Effective verbal and written communicator, adapting your communication style to your audience in person or via webinar.
- Ability to calculate figures and formulate complex math formulas.
- Strategic thinking with analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills.
- Good Negotiation skills and Supplier sourcing skills
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills.
- Positive character, commit to deliver, and able to work under pressure
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple projects.
- Proven working experience leading Supply Chain improvement initiatives with cross-functional teams
- Working Knowledge in manufacturing processes and procedures: Lean six sigma methodology in manufacturing
- Working knowledge of MRP Systems, warehouse inventory levels, sales/marketing data, and blueprints.
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Presentation Software
- Communication and Collaboration Tools