Pella Area Jobs

Substitute Teachers

Posted: 11/05/2020

As you may already know, the Governor's office recently released new substitute relief for schools who are in need of substitute teachers for the upcoming school year.  With the ongoing coronavirus situation, Pella Schools anticipates a need for more subs than usual.  In addition, we expect to have a shortage of subs as several of our past substitutes may decide that they might not continue in that capacity. 
We would encourage anyone who has an interest in helping shape our young people to consider obtaining a substitute authorization.  Interested parties can apply via the Pella Schools career page.  The  new standard qualifications to be a substitute teacher are listed below. 
The new suspended regulations make it easier to qualify for a substitute authorization by meeting the following standards: 
Have at least one of the following: 1) a associate's degree from a regionally accredited institution OR 2) completed an approved paraeducator certification program and holds a paraeducator certificate OR 3) has completed 60 semester hours of college coursework from a regionally accredited institution
Have attained a minimum age of 20 years
Have successfully completed an Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation and a national criminal history background check
Have successfully completed all of the requirements of the approved course, "Substitute Authorization: Fostering Student Learning as a Substitute."  (See Heartland AEA website for upcoming class schedule and to register.) 
For the duration of the disaster proclamation:
A substitute authorization or license shall allow an individual to substitute for any length of time.  (The previous limits of substituting only 5 days consecutively, or no more than 10 days in a month, are suspended at this time.)
Classes are filling up quickly.  If you are interested, or you know someone who might be interested, we encourage you to register for the class very soon.  
Contact Heartland AEA at 1-800-362-2720 with further questions about their classes!
An added note: We are also interested in building up our pool of substitutes for food service, bus drivers and associates.  Bus drivers must have a CDL and pass the bus driver certification.  However, other positions do not have any licensing requirements.  
Thank you for your consideration in helping our local schools sustain the education our students need!