Director of Annual Giving and Alumni Engagement
Responsible to the Vice President for Advancement for strategic execution and management of a comprehensive annual giving program, securing increasing levels of annually, recurring gifts from all constituent groups. Responsible for the development, implementation, and evaluation of a comprehensive alumni engagement program.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- In coordination with the Vice President for Advancement, establish goals and obtain annual support for Central College programs, with special emphasis on The Journey Scholarship Fund.
- Research, implement and direct specific programs to solicit annual support for Central College from alumni, parents, friends, faculty and staff, including direct mail, text and e-mail campaigns, crowdfunding, matching gifts, online giving, local businesses and personal solicitations.
- Focus on effective communication and solicitation activities within specific market segments identified as having potential for the greatest growth. Educate and market to internal and external constituencies on annual giving and initiatives.
- Carry a portfolio and be responsible for outreach, solicitation, cultivation, and stewardship of donors.
- Develop cultivation plans for leading alumni including appointments, phone calls, etc.
- Make discovery calls
- Complete and file contact reports after alumni visits
- Work with the Director of Development in recognizing our alumni and donors
- Utilize alumni volunteers to serve as college representatives at events across the country
- Cultivate donors and secure annual gifts, intentionally working toward gifts from a target range of $1,000-4,000 but not exclusively.
- Research patterns of annual giving, segment donors by potential, develop programs for cultivation and organize the optimum strategies to reach these donors.
- Oversee donor relations and stewardship programs including annual giving societies, donor communications, and various special events.
- Help coordinate external communications in collaboration with the communications team for alumni and the Central family including the Dutch Letter, Civitas, website and special publications and presentations.
- Oversee and evaluate alumni events and special reunions
- Organize intentional, educational alumni events in collaboration with annual giving and alumni engagement team
- Work in partnership with conferences and events and other campus partners for planning special on-campus events (i.e. Homecoming, scholarship dinner, HooRah Day, graduation, etc.)
- Manage day-to-day operation of office
- Manage department budget
- Supervise and evaluate annual giving and alumni engagement staff
- Pursue continuous improvement of alumni engagement program
- Develop, administer, and evaluate an annual operational plan
- Keep abreast of best practices in the alumni engagement field and respond accordingly
- Develop alumni evaluation instruments, prepare measurable goals and determine most effective programs and processes to serve alumni community
- Bachelor's degree, or equivalent, with two to four years effective experience in fundraising preferred.
- Five to seven years of successful experience in fundraising, communications, technology, marketing, data analytics, event planning or management, preferably in higher education or non-profit settings
- Strong written and oral communication skills required.
- Proven track record with successful management of a team preferred.
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of college leadership, align interests with external audiences, and integrate comprehensive strategies in order to meet goals.
- Ability to develop comprehensive plans, analyze data, and track current trends and emerging ideas in marketing, fundraising and related fields. This includes but is not limited to direct mail, crowdfunding, hybrid phonathon, texting, and social and digital media.
- Interest in and curiosity for all aspects of education and a dedication to building relationships with faculty, staff, students, volunteers, alumni, donors and colleagues.
- Ability to develop rapport quickly and communicate effectively and assertively with a wide variety of personalities.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively.
- Ability to work as a part of a team.
- Professional attitude and appearance.