Content Specialist - Editorial
Are you a content creator who is creative, curious and methodical? Reporting to the director of integrated marketing communications and media, the content specialist - editorial is an integral member of the communications team. Critical to this role is the ability and versatility to write, edit and oversee long- and short-form content in a fast-paced, dynamic office.
This position collaborates with the communications team on a wide range of content development, including writing and editing web and promotional copy, bylined feature articles, scripts, news releases and profiles utilizing multiple communications platforms. The content specialist tells Central stories to external constituencies, including prospective students, families, alumni, donors, corporations, foundations and friends of the college. The role manages content projects throughout their entire life cycle.
We are seeking talent to help build our brand, increase awareness of our academic program offerings and grow the college's digital presence.
We need a talented editorial specialist to develop and create storytelling across multiple platforms to inform, engage and entertain Central audiences and support the college's communication and marketing goals.
Strong proofreading and AP Style skills required. We're looking for someone with exceptional marketing skills.
A successful candidate must have a great attitude and understand digital and traditional channels used to reach and engage with an audience. As part of a learning organization, the position will have the opportunity to sharpen existing skills and hone new ones in a results-driven and supportive environment.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Demonstrate intellectual curiosity and become immersed in the academic life of the college.
- Identify and tell engaging stories via multiple platforms of those who help make the institution vibrant and distinctive. Stories should appeal to not only traditional Central constituencies but also to those unfamiliar with the college.
- Conduct interviews with faculty, staff, alumni and students to generate feature ideas.
- Keep in mind how stories and content reflect Central's brand pillars.
- Produce news and content.
- Write and distribute news releases promoting major campus events and announcements.
- Ensure releases are sent regularly to students' hometown media as well as produce other targeted releases that communicate key messages to various college constituencies.
- Manage Merit hometown news system to provide news on students to their local media outlets.
- Utilize social media channels to communicate targeted messages.
- Collaborate with content specialist - digital communications to develop and plan social-friendly stories and content that can be shared on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Capture video and photos of campus events and people as needed for use on social media and web.
- Contribute copy for Civitas print and digital.
- Uphold the college's brand identity and standards.
- Connect with faculty, staff, alumni and students to generate story ideas.
- Create editorial content to support the college's strategic messages for admission, development, alumni, athletics and other departments.
- Review, update and edit college's external website copy on a systematic basis.
- Conduct review of academic major page content and implement updates as needed.
- Provide additional editorial and general department support.
- Maintain awareness of media trends.
- Write promotional copy.
- Update news stories weekly on the Central website.
- Supervise student workers.
- Must be open and adaptable to change.
- Consistently demonstrate a positive attitude and represent the college in a positive fashion in dealing with contacts on and off campus.
- Must have strong time management skills and be held accountable for meeting deadlines.
- Must work cooperatively and respectfully with colleagues and readers.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Three to five years of successful experience in communications, enrollment, advancement, public relations, social media, design, web, editing, or news. Experience preferred in higher education, non-profit settings or journalism and related fields.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required.
- Ability to deliver aligned content to meet the needs and interests of college priorities.
- Interest in and curiosity for all aspects of education and a dedication to promoting the college through developing excellent relationships with faculty, staff, students, volunteers and colleagues.
- Ability to develop rapport quickly and communicate effectively and assertively with a wide variety of personalities.
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively.
- Ability to work as a part of a team.
- Professional attitude and appearance.
- Grasp of editing skills; knowledge of AP style.
- Strong organizational skills, the ability to meet tight deadlines without compromising quality while managing own time and prioritizing multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- A demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Ability to capture digital photos and videos.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and Outlook required.
- Competence in Adobe products preferred.